Sunny Sponge Cake Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup orange juice, warmed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Let egg whites and egg yolks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and hot water, beating until thick and pale yellow. Blend in the orange juice, vanilla and orange and lemon peels. Add reserved flour mixture to egg yolk mixture.
- 3. In another bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping) equals 160 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.