- 6 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup orange juice, warmed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Let egg whites and egg yolks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and hot water, beating until thick and pale yellow. Blend in the orange juice, vanilla and orange and lemon peels. Add reserved flour mixture to egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sunny Sponge Cake
Sort By :
"I have made the Sunny Sponge Cake several times. I made A Mix Berry Sauce I mash some of the berries the cut stove of then added the whole berries stir lightly so they would not cook up this way you have a taste of the berries. I do this also when I make my Canning Berry Jam, and as I served it each piece I would put about 2-Tablespoons of warm sauce on each slice everyone enjoyed the cake/sauce. Back in the 1940`s/50`s my aunt won a exlarge gas stove for her Homemade Sponge Cake I still have that Recipe and I have made it many times and it was Delish !!! As soon as I find it I be putting on here.auntbea (NorthEast, Maryland)"
"I have made many cakes over my lifetime and this was not my first sponge/angel food cake, but this was the WORST cake I ever made. I followed the directions exactly with the single exception of using 1/4 tsp. orange extract since I ran out of vanilla. The cake smelled wonderful and I had even gone and bought oranges last night to have the zest, and it looked beautiful when I took it out of the oven and seemed cooked since it was browned and bounced back nicely when lightly touched, but when I turned it over to cool, after 10 minutes, the cake fell out of the pan and when I removed the pan, the cake was raw inside. I sampled a little of the outside to see how it tasted and it had no taste at all. I therefore have wasted 6 eggs (12 really since I got a little yolk in the whites the first time around and had to start over more carefully--we are actually going to use those 5 whites and 3 yolks for breakfast tomorrow), sugar, flour, orange juice for a cake that I threw away. Not happy. I was making it for a covered dish dinner tonight, and now I have to hustle to find something equally appealing. My suggestion is this: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CAKE. FAILURE IN EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM!!!! I personally could never figure out how so many people could complain about a single recipe before, because they always seemed so straight forward and not hard to understand, but I sure had a complete failure with this recipe. Very disappointing, but I must say that as recipe sites go, this site has the fewest failures for me than any other. I give the site 5 stars but not this recipe."
"I have been looking for this recipe for YEARS and I'm so glad to have found it. I had this at a bridal shower I attended with my mother when I was about 13 years old and this cake was served. I was so impressed and loved the cake so much. Can't wait to put it into my repertoire!! THANKS!"
"Scrumptious, citrusy and VERY delicious! Tender with a nice citrus flavour in every bite, this cake was indeed a pleasure to make and eat! Its so pretty, as well!The smell when it was baking was nothing short of heavenly and it tastes wonderful!I will DEFINITELY be making this again and this recipe is one I'll certainly keep! :)"