- 6 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup orange juice, warmed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Let egg whites and egg yolks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and hot water, beating until thick and pale yellow. Blend in the orange juice, vanilla and orange and lemon peels. Add reserved flour mixture to egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sunny Sponge Cake
Sort By :
I have made the Sunny Sponge Cake several times. I made A Mix Berry Sauce I mash some of the berries the cut stove of then added the whole berries stir lightly so they would not cook up this way you have a taste of the berries. I do this also when I make my Canning Berry Jam, and as I served it each piece I would put about 2-Tablespoons of warm sauce on each slice everyone enjoyed the cake/sauce. Back in the 1940`s/50`s my aunt won a exlarge gas stove for her Homemade Sponge Cake I still have that Recipe and I have made it many times and it was Delish !!! As soon as I find it I be putting on here.
auntbea (NorthEast, Maryland)
I have made many cakes over my lifetime and this was not my first sponge/angel food cake, but this was the WORST cake I ever made. I followed the directions exactly with the single exception of using 1/4 tsp. orange extract since I ran out of vanilla. The cake smelled wonderful and I had even gone and bought oranges last night to have the zest, and it looked beautiful when I took it out of the oven and seemed cooked since it was browned and bounced back nicely when lightly touched, but when I turned it over to cool, after 10 minutes, the cake fell out of the pan and when I removed the pan, the cake was raw inside. I sampled a little of the outside to see how it tasted and it had no taste at all. I therefore have wasted 6 eggs (12 really since I got a little yolk in the whites the first time around and had to start over more carefully--we are actually going to use those 5 whites and 3 yolks for breakfast tomorrow), sugar, flour, orange juice for a cake that I threw away. Not happy. I was making it for a covered dish dinner tonight, and now I have to hustle to find something equally appealing. My suggestion is this: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS CAKE. FAILURE IN EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM!!!! I personally could never figure out how so many people could complain about a single recipe before, because they always seemed so straight forward and not hard to understand, but I sure had a complete failure with this recipe. Very disappointing, but I must say that as recipe sites go, this site has the fewest failures for me than any other. I give the site 5 stars but not this recipe.
I have been looking for this recipe for YEARS and I'm so glad to have found it. I had this at a bridal shower I attended with my mother when I was about 13 years old and this cake was served. I was so impressed and loved the cake so much. Can't wait to put it into my repertoire!! THANKS!
Scrumptious, citrusy and VERY delicious! Tender with a nice citrus flavour in every bite, this cake was indeed a pleasure to make and eat! Its so pretty, as well!
The smell when it was baking was nothing short of heavenly and it tastes wonderful!
I will DEFINITELY be making this again and this recipe is one I'll certainly keep! :)