- 4 slices pancetta or 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Dash each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In a small skillet, saute mushrooms and shallot in oil until tender. Add tarragon and, if desired, sherry; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in the cheeses, sour cream, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll into a 10x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Spread mushroom mixture over pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Top with pancetta (place pancetta near the edges of the mushroom mixture). Score edges of pastry with a fork. Beat 1 egg and water; brush over pastry edges. Bake 10-12 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Carefully crack remaining eggs off-center into each corner. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with chives, salt and pepper. Cut into four pieces. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sunny-Side-Up Herbed Tart in Country Woman April/May 2010, p37
Reviews for Sunny-Side-Up Herbed Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 18, 2011
"Herbed tart recipe? Thanks, very sunny."