Sunny Orange Layer Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the flour, gelatin, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, gelatin powder and vanilla until blended.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice: 475 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (42g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Sunny Orange Layer Cake
"I made this for my son's 3rd birthday party because he said he wanted an orange cake, which is his favorite color. Definitely a hit! Very moist and full of orange flavor, both cake and icing."
"Oh my goodness. I just made this cake for my office—I didn't make the icing, though (I had some buttercream on hand instead)—and it is delicious! So moist and flavorful, and so easy to put together! This is definitely one that I'll make again!"