Sunny Orange Layer Cake Recipe
If you like orange flavor, you'll love this made-from-scratch cake. No one will ever believe that you use gelatin as the secret ingredient in both the cake and the frosting.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the flour, gelatin, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, gelatin powder and vanilla until blended.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 475 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Sunny Orange Layer Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC