Sunny Orange Layer Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the flour, gelatin, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, gelatin powder and vanilla until blended.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Sunny Orange Layer Cake(2)
Sort By :
I made this for my son's 3rd birthday party because he said he wanted an orange cake, which is his favorite color. Definitely a hit! Very moist and full of orange flavor, both cake and icing.
Oh my goodness. I just made this cake for my officeâ€”I didn't make the icing, though (I had some buttercream on hand instead)â€”and it is delicious! So moist and flavorful, and so easy to put together! This is definitely one that I'll make again!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >