Sunny Grapefruit Avocado Salad Recipe
Even in the dead of winter, Mary Relyea of Canastota, New York brightens up lettuce greens with the fresh fruity tartness of pink grapefruit and orange juice. This sunny and elegant citrus salad pairs well with most entrees. TASTY TIP For extra elegance and color, Mary Relyea sometimes adds sliced Kalamata or green olives to her Grapefruit Avocado Salad.
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 3 large pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Divide lettuce among eight salad plates. Arrange the grapefruit, avocado and onion over lettuce.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, oil, lemon juice, cumin, garlic and pepper sauce; drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 165 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC