Sunny Corn Bread Muffins
Corn kernels add sunny taste and texture to these moist muffins, a great accompaniment to our summer barbecue. They’re especially good warm, so if I bake them ahead, I warm them on the grill or in the microwave before serving. —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, New Jersey
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder
- and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in corn.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for
- 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 187 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 460 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.