Sunny Coconut Cake Recipe
"I've been making this easy cake for 15 years and get many requests for the recipe," reports Annette Buckner of Charlotte, North Carolina.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar and orange juice. Beat in coconut. Cover and refrigerate. In large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, oil and eggs; mix well.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Set aside 1 cup of the coconut filling; spread remaining filling between cake layers. Refrigerate. In a chilled large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into reserved filling. Frost the top and sides of cake. Garnish with oranges. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 550 calories, 27 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC