Sunny Chicken 'N' Rice
A sweet and spicy apricot sauce gives lots of flavor to the tender chicken in this dish from Diana Duda of Glenwood, Illinois. "It's especially fast because it's made with instant rice," she notes. "Serve it with crusty bread, fresh fruit and a green salad."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the orange juice, preserves,
- allspice, salt, pepper and ginger. Microwave, uncovered, on high for
- 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until preserves begin to melt; stir to blend.
- Place the rice in a shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish; arrange
- chicken on top. Pour sauce over chicken and rice. Cover and
- refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Cover and microwave at 80% power for 11-15 minutes or until chicken
- juices run clear and the rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One chicken breast with 1 cup rice (prepared with reduced-sugar preserves) equals 323 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch,