Sunflower Wheat Rolls Recipe
"My husband, Milt, gave me a bread machine for Christmas, and it certainly has been a time-saver," writes Roxann Field of Hutchinson, Minnesota. "With some trial and error, we came up with this recipe. Quite often, we are asked to bring the golden rolls to family gatherings or potlucks—and we get compliments every time."
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). When the cycle is completed, tun dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into 20 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 20 rolls.
One roll equals 142 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC