Sunflower Slaw Recipe
This salad is a favorite at church suppers. It deliciously combines a tangy dressing with crisp cabbage, slivered almonds, sunflower kernels and ramen noodles. This dish pairs nicely with many entrees.—Betty Thompson, St. Charles, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:66 servings
- 6 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodles
- 2 packages (2-1/4 ounces each) slivered almonds
- 1-1/3 cups sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3-1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 1. Break noodles into small pieces (save seasoning packets for another use). Place the noodles, almonds and sunflower kernels in 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with butter; toss to coat. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring several times; set aside.
- 2. Combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and salt; toss with cabbage. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir in noodle mixture just before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 66 servings (3/4 cup each).
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 185 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC