Sunflower Seed Cookies
We grow 800 acres of sunflowers and use the nutritious seeds in a variety of recipes.—Connie White, Stirum, North Dakota
60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted salted sunflower kernels
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add water and vanilla;
- mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to
- creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in sunflower sees.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 11-13
- minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Yield: about 10 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 111 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.