- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt and 4 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread
Sort By :
"New staple in our home. Everyone loved it. Thank you!!"
"Followed recipe exactly. The whole family loved it! My daughter said, "It is awesomely good!" One of the better wheat bread recipes that I've tried."
"I'm making this for the second time. Glad I found it again; it's a keeper!"
"still rising, but it smells great"