Sunflower Rye Bread
This wholesome, rustic-looking loaf is crusty outside and moist inside. "I prefer to use unroasted, unsalted sunflower seeds without the shells," Donna mentions.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select wheat bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water of flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices (2 pounds).
Editor's Note: If your bread machine does not have a wheat setting, follow the manufacturer's directions using the basic setting.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 157 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 231 mg sodium,