This wholesome, rustic-looking loaf is crusty outside and moist inside. "I prefer to use unroasted, unsalted sunflower seeds without the shells," Donna mentions.
Recommended: 26 Recipes for Homemade Bread
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select wheat bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water of flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices (2 pounds).
Originally published as Sunflower Rye Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p32
Reviews for Sunflower Rye Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2014
"This is excellent bread recipe. I didn't add the sunflower seeds but added caraway seeds. VERY good!"
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2010
"Good hearty recipe when you want something out of the ordinary. The sunflowers add a crunch, similar to a walnut, in the bread. Delicious!"