- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup prepared chocolate frosting, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 22 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 craft decorating bees, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Freeze one layer for future use. Set aside 1 tablespoon frosting. Frost top and sides of remaining cake.
- Place cake in the center of a large round tray (about 18 in.) Arrange chocolate chips on top of cake. Place sponge cakes around cake. Mix reserved frosting with milk; drizzle over sponge cakes. Decorate with bees if desired. Yield: 22 servings.
Reviews for Sunflower Potluck Cake
"I have made this cake for potluck dinners at church and family reunions.Kids and adults alike just love it. I never come home with any."
"I made this cake today for a new family that just moved into the neighborhood. It's a step up from a regular cake. The twinkies are perfect for the kids or for those hungry moving guys who don't have time to slice a piece of cake. It was so easy to make too!"