- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon cold water
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water, honey and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. Beat in oat mixture until blended. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into four portions; shape into 8-in. x 2-in. loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. With a sharp knife, cut slits in tops of loaves.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (8 slices each).
Originally published as Sunflower Oatmeal Loaves in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p110
Reviews for Sunflower Oatmeal Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >