Sunflower Oatmeal Bread
Sunflower kernels give an interesting nutty flavor and crunch to this moist bread shared by Elvera Dallman of Franklin, Nebraska. "It's good plain, toasted in a grilled cheese sandwich—or most any way you fix it," she assures.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower kernels, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 144 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.