Sunflower Oatmeal Bread Recipe
Sunflower kernels give an interesting nutty flavor and crunch to this moist bread shared by Elvera Dallman of Franklin, Nebraska. "It's good plain, toasted in a grilled cheese sandwichor most any way you fix it," she assures.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower kernels, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (about 1-1/2 pounds).
Originally published as Sunflower Oatmeal Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p59