Sunflower-Cherry Granola Bars Recipe
Try these terrific granola bars from Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois. The chewy bars have plenty of oats and nuts, and the dried cherries add just the right amount of tang. —Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:30 servings
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1. Spread oats into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, spread almonds and coconut into another ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in peanut butter until combined. Add the raisins, cherries, sunflower kernels, and toasted oats, almonds and coconut.
- 3. Using a metal spatula, press mixture into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cool to room temperature. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC