Sunflower-Cherry Granola Bars Recipe
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- Spread oats into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, spread almonds and coconut into another ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in peanut butter until combined. Add the raisins, cherries, sunflower kernels, and toasted oats, almonds and coconut.
- Using a metal spatula, press mixture into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cool to room temperature. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Sunflower-Cherry Granola Bars
Sort By :
I used honey instead of corn syrup and I used salted sunflower seeds, gave it a nice sweet and salty flavour. I cut mine into 60 servings to make nice size 100 calorie bars.
These are really tasty, but I guess I overcooked the syrup(I exchanged honey for the corn syrup) and they were almost impossible to cut. Had the practically chisel them out and then the cutting was hard as heck--but they are very tasty and will make them again and be more careful of the heat.
Was wondering if you could use raw vs. salted sunflower kernels? How about pepitas (the inside "seed" of the pumpkin seed) or other small nut in place of the sunflower seeds? I like the idea of all honey instead of the corn syrup, since it contains high fructose corn syrup...makes the bars healthier!
These were so addictive! I used honey roasted peanut butter and substituted some of the corn syrup with honey and it came out great!
EXCELLENT!! I'm always on the hunt for homemade versions of store-bought granola bars and these are definitely a keeper! Substituted dried cranberries for the cherries since they were so much cheaper.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >