Sunflower Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup salted sunflower kernels, toasted
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Additional salted sunflower kernels, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sunflower kernels, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Roll loaves in additional sunflower kernels if desired. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 119 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sunflower Bread
"This recipe was so simple and easy and turned out great! Thank you Taste of Home."
"Best recipe of all time. No worries about rising the bread for a long time if you use a pan of steaming water underneath the bowl. Make sure to oil the bowl so the ball of dough doesn't stick. The flavor is awesome. If you don't have the wholewheat flour, use flaxseed in place of it."
"I know little about cooking and absolutely nothing about baking bread. With that being said i enjoyed this recipe. The dough was very heavy and i read somewhere that dough with seeds in it can have trouble rising which was the case. After i put the dough in the pans i had to give it almost 2 hours to rise. The final results were good though the bread was dense and a little dry, which i am sure is more my fault than the recipes.Will definitely try this again. It was very tasty lightly toasted with a little butter or jam and i love sunflower seeds. And i am sure the results will improve as my skills improve."