Sunflower Bread Recipe
I do the cooking at our family-owned guest ranch. I use thick slices of this nutty bread as an accompaniment to soup in winter and as sandwich bread in summer. Visitors can't resist this bread.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup salted sunflower kernels, toasted
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Additional salted sunflower kernels, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sunflower kernels, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Roll loaves in additional sunflower kernels if desired. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 119 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC