Sunday Supper Sandwiches
This delish dish can be prepared in a 4-quart slow cooker as well. Simply cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. —Libby Walp, Chicago, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 2 hours 30 min.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard, divided
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened applesauce
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Place sauerkraut in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Sprinkle pork with salt
- and pepper; brush with 2 tablespoons mustard. Place over sauerkraut.
- Add cider and applesauce.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until pork is
- tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Drain sauerkraut mixture; set
- aside. Shred pork with two forks.
- Place toast on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread with remaining
- mustard. Top with pork, then sauerkraut mixture; sprinkle with
- cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese
- is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 403 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 966 mg sodium,