Sunday Sausage Breakfast
This filling, delicious dish looks as appealing as it is tasty. Servings of this rich casserole go a long way.Bill Shultz, Walden, New York
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 package (6 ounces) onion and garlic croutons
- 2 cups cubed mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the croutons,
- sausage and cheese. Combine eggs and milk; mix well. Pour over
- cheese; sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until the top is
- lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 591 calories, 43 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 407 mg cholesterol, 1,054 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.