Sunday's Corned Beef Recipe
Here’s an old Irish recipe I’ve been making for decades—and not just on St. Patrick’s Day—because it’s so fast and easy to prepare! —Pam Allen, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
- 2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bottle (2 liters) ginger ale
- 1/4 cup mixed pickling spices
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1. Discard spice packets from corned beef or save for another use. Place briskets in a Dutch oven; add cabbage. Pour ginger ale over top. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender, adding potatoes during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- 3. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Thinly slice brisket across the grain and serve with vegetables. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC