Sunday's Corned Beef Recipe
Here’s an old Irish recipe I’ve been making for decades—and not just on St. Patrick’s Day—because it’s so fast and easy to prepare! —Pam Allen, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:16 servings
- 2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bottle (2 liters) ginger ale
- 1/4 cup mixed pickling spices
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1. Discard spice packets from corned beef or save for another use. Place briskets in a Dutch oven; add cabbage. Pour ginger ale over top. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender, adding potatoes during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- 3. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Thinly slice brisket across the grain and serve with vegetables. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC