With the help of a slow cooker, you can prepare a down-home dinner any day of the week, not just on Sundays. The roast turns out tender and savory every time. —Brandy Schaefer, Glen Carbon, Illinois
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; rub over roast. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Place carrots, potatoes and onions in a 6-qt. slow cooker; add broth. Unwrap roast; place in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter; tent with foil. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan. In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, add browning sauce. Serve roast with gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Sunday Pot Roast in Country Pork 1996, p63
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sunday Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review