Sunday Gumbo Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Stir in the seasonings; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat turkey Italian sausage) equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.