- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Stir in the seasonings; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sunday Gumbo
Sort By :
"I have made this a number of times--we love it!"
"The only thing that makes this gumbo meal even more perfect is to serve it with sweet potato pie!"
"I've made this so many times now, that I've lost track of how many. It is so loved by my family. I've tried to make gumbos with a roux several times & it never turned out or tasted quite right. So I really appreciate this recipe. I often use leftover chicken, but other than that, I don't change a thing. It's perfect as is."
"Have been making this for years! It is always a hit when I do."
"How can you make Gumbo without a Roux?"