"With sausage, chicken and shrimp plus rice, a medley of vegetables and the 'heat' of cayenne, this warming soup is one my husband and I enjoy for dinner many Sunday evenings," relates Debbie Burchette of Summitville, Indiana. "It's wonderful with crusty bread."
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Stir in the seasonings; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
Originally published as Sunday Gumbo in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sunday Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review