Sunday Dinner Brisket Recipe
We loved how tender this brisket came out of the slow cooker. The sauce has a robust, beefy flavor with a slight tang from the balsamic vinegar, and the rich caramelized onions complete the dish.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Sprinkle with garlic and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Sprinkle flour over both sides of brisket; shake off excess. In the same skillet, brown beef in remaining oil on all sides. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place beef on top of onions. Add balsamic vinegar to skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over beef.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and paprika; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice beef across the grain; serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Sunday Dinner Brisket in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sunday Dinner Brisket(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >