Sunday Chicken Supper Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 5 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the first seven ingredients in order listed. In a small bowl, combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme, basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken cooking juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sunday Chicken Supper(6)
Sort By :
You can get rid of so much of the sodium by using chicken broth and I bet the flavor would be woderful
Made this tonight for dinner. The only thing extra I added was bay leaves and some garlic. However, it was EXTREMELY bland. I tried to spice up the gravy at least but not even that could save the mess that was the chicken. It was so bland my 2 children (5 and 6) didn't even want to eat it. I don't know what I'm going to do with the leftovers as none of us have any desire to eat it ever ever again! I'm sorry but I have no clue what the other reviews see or taste in this. Was a sore disappointment of a dinner. I feel like I need to go make another dinner to make up for the sad tastebuds around this house.
While visiting my daughter, I put together this recipe which we enjoyed following a fun afternoon out with friends. This delicious dish greeted us with a wonderful aroma when we got back to the house. Now that I'm back home, I'm going to make this dish again for this Sunday. The seasonings were just right. We did make the recipe with fresh green beans as specified, but this time I am going to try using frozen cut green beans instead.
I have made this recipe many times. It is one of my wife's and my favorite recipes.
This recipe is super easy and great on a cold winter day!! I have very picky eaters and they love this dinner. I have made it for other families and they always say how great it is.