Ruthann Martin from Louisville, Ohio makes this slow-cooked sensation with chicken, vegetables and seasonings. "It's a hearty, homespun dish that satisfies the biggest appetites," she says.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 5 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the first seven ingredients in order listed. In a small bowl, combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme, basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken cooking juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sunday Chicken Supper in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p52
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sunday Chicken Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review