Sunday Chicken Stew Recipe
I love this recipe because I can prepare the veggies the night before and, in the morning, brown the chicken and assemble everything in the slow cooker before I go to church. I can spend time with my family while Sunday dinner cooks.—Diane Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; remove and keep warm. Gradually add broth to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, celery and onion; sprinkle with rosemary. Add the chicken and hot broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender, vegetables are tender and stew is bubbling.
- 3. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker. Stir in peas.
- 4. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary. Combine the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook on high for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC