Sunday Brunch Strata Recipe
Hearty and fresh-tasting, this classic strata makes a wonderful breakfast dish. —Sonya Labbe, Santa Monica, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, spinach, cheeses, mustard, salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 277 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 228 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC