- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, spinach, cheeses, mustard, salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sunday Brunch Strata
"This was not great. It lacked flavour. I might try making it again with a stronger cheese and definitely some more salt."
"Question that came to me while reading this recipe and all others that ask for squeezing the water out of frozen spinach. I am surprised the industry has not made a freeze dried spinach for recipes that use spinach. Just a thought......"
"This was very tasty. I made it the night before and had it for dinner the next night, it was handy to be able to do that. Served with Turkey Sage Sausage recipe in the same issue, very yummy."