Hearty and fresh-tasting, this classic strata makes a wonderful breakfast dish. —Sonya Labbe, Santa Monica, California
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, spinach, cheeses, mustard, salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sunday Brunch Strata in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p43
Reviews for Sunday Brunch Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review