Sunday Brunch Egg Casserole Recipe
The test kitchen dramatically improved this hearty breakfast’s nutritional profile for Alice, but kept its core flavors and ingredients intact. The lightened-up dish still tastes decadent, but now it won’t load you up. Alice Hofmann - Sussex, Wisconsin
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- 2. In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg substitute, milk and seasonings until blended. Stir in potatoes, cheese, bacon and pepper mixture.
- 4. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 591 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Sunday Brunch Egg Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC