Sunday Boiled Dinner Recipe
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cabbage, halved
- Prepared horseradish, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover; bring to a boil.
- 2. Place cabbage on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Drain. Cut cabbage into wedges; remove core. Serve meat and vegetables with horseradish if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 446 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1700mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 11g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Sunday Boiled Dinner
"I have made this several times (each time with ham) and it never ceases to be great. I use the Horseradish Sauce (I found it in the Complete Guide to Cooking by Taste of Home) every time. Thank you so much."