Sunday Boiled Dinner Recipe
Meet the Cook: Generally, I start this dinner early in the morning or right before church. It originated with my Pennsylvania Dutch mother and grandmother., When I first served it to my husband, he enjoyed the hearty root vegetables so much that he asked me to make the dish more frequently, even during the summertime. We've been married 38 years and have two sons and two granddaughters. -Arlene Oliver, Bothell, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:8 servings
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cabbage, halved
- Prepared horseradish, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover; bring to a boil.
- 2. Place cabbage on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Drain. Cut cabbage into wedges; remove core. Serve meat and vegetables with horseradish if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 446 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,700 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC