Sunday Beef Stew
We had an aunt who served this special stew on every special occasion when we all got together. It brings back wonderful memories. The cinnamon adds a unique flavor.Jeanette Lazary, Rochester, New York
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon
- and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In
- a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and onions are
- tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot