- 1-1/4 cups sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and water; let stand for 15 minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and bread crumbs.
- Drain and chop the tomatoes; set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add onion mixture, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and remaining chopped tomatoes to the egg mixture. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine ketchup and reserved tomatoes; spread over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"This was just delicious. I subbed oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, but kept eveything else as written- we all loved it!"
"Too spicy! I had never used sun-dried tomatoes before and did not realize what an intense flavor they have."
"my nonmeatloaf eating daughter loved it!"
"Very good meatloaf! I followed the recipe to the the "T" and and it came out perfect! my children went back for seconds."