Sun-Dried Tomato Focaccia Recipe
This bread looks inviting and doesn’t disappoint when you take a bite. The sun-dried tomatoes and red onions give it an extra-special appearance, fit for any celebratory meal. —Kathy Katz, Ocala, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups warm V8 juice (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons slivered sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 12 thin slices red onion, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. In a small bowl, combine chopped sun-dried tomatoes and boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. In bread machine pan, place the V8 juice, oil, softened tomatoes, cheese, parsley, sugar, salt, basil, garlic powder, flours and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 3. In a small bowl, combine slivered tomatoes and boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down. Divide in half; roll each portion into a 9-in. circle. Transfer to two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- 5. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make 1/4-in. indentations in dough. Arrange tomato slivers and onion slices over dough; press down lightly. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with oil. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
1 piece equals 135 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC