I added to a family recipe to create this bright and pretty wreath. Served with herb butter, it makes a special accompaniment to holiday meals. —Teresa Morancie of Brewer, Maine
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes; let stand 15 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the next six ingredients. Drain and chop tomatoes; add to pan. Cook and stir mixture over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add tomato mixture, egg and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; add the basil, Parmesan and oil. Keep warm. Punch dough down; divide into three portions. Shape each into an 18-in. rope.
- Brush with half of herb butter. Place ropes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; braid and shape into a wreath. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with remaining herb butter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Originally published as Sun-Dried Tomato 'n' Basil Wreath in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p33
Reviews for Sun-Dried Tomato 'n' Basil Wreath
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review