Summertime Squash Recipe
"Everyone knows the best-tasting vegetables come from a country garden," writes Gwendolyn Lambert of Frisco City, Alabama. She uses her garden-grown veggies to create this colorful, nutritious dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt and broth until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, squash and red pepper in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
3/4 cup equals 78 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC