Summertime Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 3 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- 1. Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1-in. pieces. In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the same skillet; add onions and green pepper. Cook and stir until tender.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Return sausage to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and sauce is thickened.
- 3. Serve sauce with pasta; top with cheese. Yield: 5 cups.
3/4 cup (calculated without pasta and cheese) equals 173 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.