My husband and I look forward to this flavorful sauce when our tomatoes become so abundant and we need to use them up...or even just when they're ripe and at their peak. —Kay Kaepp, Coldwater, MI
- 3 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1-in. pieces. In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the same skillet; add onions and green pepper. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, jalapeno, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Return sausage to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and sauce is thickened.
- Serve sauce with pasta; top with cheese. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Summertime Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p41
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Summertime Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review