Summertime Slaw Recipe
As a change from mayonnaise-laden slaw, I created this refreshing alternative. It uses many of the garden vegetables I grow, so it’s also economical. I serve it at our family reunion each Fourth of July, and it’s always a big hit at church socials.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, water, salt, pepper and pepper flakes if desired. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, tomatoes, onion, peppers and pickle relish. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC