Summertime Slaw Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, water, salt, pepper and pepper flakes if desired. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, tomatoes, onion, peppers and pickle relish. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Summertime Slaw(3)
Sort By :
Really like this as a change from mayo coleslaw. Added one shredded cucumber and tomatoes from the garden right before serving.
Needed a slaw recipe without mayonnaise for a late July cookout. Guests really liked it but use a slotted spoon. Taste great without all the liquid.
Lost this 2005 very good slaw recipe----today we were reunited.