- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir chicken over medium heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cucumber, onion, parsley and pasta. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; toss with chicken mixture.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold. Top with cheese before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Summertime Orzo & Chicken
"Liked this a lot...put it on a wrap for lunch. It does make quite a bit so if you're on your own might want to adjust ingredients to make less."
"Used pepper jack cheese and extra lemon juice. Spun the dressing in the blender and it was delish. Will make this again and again."
"I had to replace the feta with mozzarella b/c my DH doesn't like Feta so maybe that's why it didn't have much flavor. It definitely needs to be made a day ahead so the flavors can meld."
"Wonderful! This recipe has become one of my family staples. Great as leftovers."
"I have made this several times, and with different variations, such as using a different pasta, with or without chicken, doubling or tripling the lemon and oil mixture, adding minced or crushed garlic to the mixture, and using sea salt. It was a hit at a recent potluck and everyone asked for the recipe. It is a wonderful recipe and can be fit to appeal to your own tastes. Very versatile and I highly recommend it to anyone needing something different."
"I loved this recipe. I am not a fan of cucumbers so I left them out. It was easy to make and cheap! I will make again. My husband didn't love it though. He thought the onions were a bit overpowering."
"We made this recipe twice already! The flavor is great and refreshing. We even added asparagus to it the second time and that was a wonderful addition too! The guest we had for dinner the first time we made it was sold on the dish. We recommend it to all our friends whom like to cook, but need an easy recipe that is delish!"
"We added green grapes, grape or pear tomatoes and used 4-cheese combination instead of feta"
"we make this orzo salad every month - delicious for lunch at work!!"