Summertime Melon Soup
Valerie Black reports from Fairfield Bay, Arkansas that her summertime soup always elicits a sweet response. "Guests never fail to request the recipe," she reveals. "To make it look even better, I often serve it in cantaloupe 'bowls'.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 cups seeded cubed watermelon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 to 4 cantaloupes, optional
- Additional fresh strawberries, optional
- In a small bowl, combine watermelon and strawberries. Puree in
- batches in a blender, adding the sour cream, milk and sugar to the
- last batch. Pour into a 2-qt. container and mix well. Cover and
- chill at least 3 hours.
- To serve soup in cantaloupe bowls, cut cantaloupes in half; hollow
- out melon and seeds, leaving about a 1-1/2-in. shell if desired. Cut
- a decorative edge if desired. Add soup; garnish with a strawberry if
- desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 71 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.