Valerie Black reports from Fairfield Bay, Arkansas that her summertime soup always elicits a sweet response. "Guests never fail to request the recipe," she reveals. "To make it look even better, I often serve it in cantaloupe 'bowls'.
- 5 cups seeded cubed watermelon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 to 4 cantaloupes, optional
- Additional fresh strawberries, optional
- In a small bowl, combine watermelon and strawberries. Puree in batches in a blender, adding the sour cream, milk and sugar to the last batch. Pour into a 2-qt. container and mix well. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- To serve soup in cantaloupe bowls, cut cantaloupes in half; hollow out melon and seeds, leaving about a 1-1/2-in. shell if desired. Cut a decorative edge if desired. Add soup; garnish with a strawberry if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Summertime Melon Soup in Country Woman July/August 1996, p12
Reviews for Summertime Melon Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review