Summertime Main-Dish Salad, from field editor Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana, is cook and satisfying. "This salad has all the spark of Cajun jambalaya," Ruby remarks.
Recommended: 30 June Recipes You’ll Love
- 2-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked low-fat ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the first seven ingredients in oil until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar. Cool for 5 minutes. In a bowl, toss rice, chicken, celery, peppers and onions. stir in the ham mixture. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish with tomatoes. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Summertime Main-Dish Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p8
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Summertime Main-Dish Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review