Summertime Fruit Trifles Recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 2 cups sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour; stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the orange juice, butter and orange peel. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- In large bowl, combine pineapple and pudding mix; fold in whipped topping. In another bowl, combine peaches and berries.
- In individual parfait glasses, layer cake cubes, pineapple mixture and berry mixture; top with custard. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Summertime Fruit Trifles(6)
Sort By :
We apologize for the oversight in omitting the custard from the directions. We've adjusted the recipe so the layering should be: cake cubes, pineapple mixture, fruit and custard. The changes will be reflected here soon.
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
What do you do with the custard in the refrigerator?
you would layer the poundcake, then the fruit, custard, then whipped topping or mix it up, any way would be fine. I like the idea of letting the guests make it themselves.
I'm like the other review, not sure how to put it together. Is it an either /or. Either use the cooked custard or the instant pudding mix and layer it with the pund cake cubes & fruit?????????
This sounds delicious, but am I missing something? I have read the recipe several times and can't figure out what you do with the custard that you make. Does anyone know?
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Jello Pudding Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Peach Recipes >